Procurement and Quality Manager
Maev is a wellness brand reimagining daily nutrition for dogs. Our first product reinvents dog food -- what it looks like, how it’s made, and who it’s designed for. We’re a team of entrepreneurs, consumer culture fanatics, and food enthusiasts who are obsessed with design and radical innovation in this old industry. We’re a fast growing team, passionate about building a meaningful brand, changing the way we nourish our beloved pets, and supporting others on our close-knit team of good people. But, there's a lot more work to be done, and we're excited to be growing a team of motivated humans that are up for the challenge.
With over 90 million dogs in the US, strong industry CAGR, an increased focus on nutrition, and traditional kibble losing market share due to lack of brand loyalty and poor quality, Maev is incredibly well-positioned to combine these strong industry tailwinds with a brand anchored in quality, transparency and emotional connection.
Maev has a deeply experienced leadership team with world-class talent to support this growth.
In this role, the Procurement and Quality Manager will be responsible for all quality assurance related activities across the supply chain, as well as procurement initiatives across our hero products, contributing to production and procurement planning, procurement strategy, and inventory management. This is an opportunity for a talented procurement manager to build a first class quality and procurement function at an emerging brand. In this role, you will report directly to the CEO, and have significant growth opportunities. You will be building out new supply chain systems, processes, and tools used to plan within our existing & future supply chain & will be critical in scaling the supply chain to meet the needs of the business.
Our ideal candidate is collaborative, detail-oriented, structured & organized, results-oriented, a creative problem solver, adept at balancing multiple priorities, loves numbers & data, is intellectually curious, and communicates clearly & concisely. People know you as a do-er, if they hand you a project, you will make it happen. You have a strong bias for action, are never satisfied with the status quo, and are excited & motivated by the rewards & challenges of quickly scaling a high-growth company.
This position will report to the CEO.
- Complaints Management - Perform investigations to identify root cause and implement corrective and preventive actions using the CAPA process.
- Product Review - Tracking of all product Certificate of Analysis (COA) documents by lot number and management of the archival history for future quality or recall support.
- Procurement Management - Report status of open purchase orders to Director of Supply Chain for supply/demand forecasting, consistent outreach to contract manufacturers to ensure purchase orders meet expected cargo ready dates.
- Product Inspections - Manage inspection protocols at all contract manufacturers.
- Supplier KPI's - Perform weekly and monthly tracking of supplier quality KPI metrics with a goal of continuous improvement.
- Continuous Improvement - Lead all product quality improvement initiatives with suppliers leveraging data to inform the priority and importance of design or manufacturing improvements.
- Specification Management - Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop product performance specifications.
- Supplier Quality Management - Responsible for the negotiation and implementation of supplier quality agreements.
- Quality Innovation - Lead efforts to bring innovation to the quality function including evaluating tools such as Quality Management Systems
- Actively partner with external stakeholders to strengthen & sustain relationships, maintain open communication, & ensure prompt resolution of issues
- Actively seek supply chain optimization opportunities and cost savings
Qualifications & Experience
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Supply Chain, Operations, or Engineering
- 5+ years’ relevant experience in supply chain (in procurement or in quality assurance with a brand utilizing contract manufacturing partners)
- Strong prior experience in FDA or USDA regulated categories, ideally human food.
- Strong attention to detail & accuracy; highly organized
- Strong analytical & problem-solving skills, critical thinking, ability to use data to develop an opinion
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills
- Ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment
- Strong excel skills
- Strong team player with sense of ownership & pride in performance and its impact on company’s success, phenomenal collaborator
- Strong work ethic, intellectual curiosity, and commitment to continuous improvement
- You are analytical and creative by nature.
- You embody ownership and execution at all levels.
- You are adaptable and flexible to the changing business needs but also laser-focused at being able to execute responsibilities.
- You are energized by difficult and ambiguous problem spaces.
- You take on obstacles with determination and excitement.
- You pride yourself on personally making an impact on a business’ trajectory.
- Your past employers and teammates will say, “[insert your name] will be the most impactful hire you ever make.”
- You can manage up and self identify
- Lastly, and most importantly, you are insatiably curious, kind and empathic. Your worldview is not insular, but expansive. You are ready to do something meaningful and impactful. And above all, you love to learn and get things done.